|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||UIC applicants only|
|Mininum GPA:||2.5||Language Requirement:||200-level|
|Academic Areas:||Art History, Hispanic Studies, Latin American Studies, Literature, Spanish||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
The University of Virginia Hispanic Studies in Valencia, Spain is an enriching and comprehensive experience for the student interested in becoming well-versed in Spanish and Latin American culture and languages. The program has been created by the University of Virginia which is responsible for the quality of the courses offered. All grades, transcripts, credits etc. earned in the UVA Hispanic Studies Program are accredited by the University of Virginia and forwarded to any other American institution of higher learning. In addition to an extensive list of courses aimed towards the academic enrichment of the student, our program also entails a variety of activities and experiences that will not only expand your knowledge of Spain and it's people,but will leave you with a lasting sense of the beauty and scope of the area.
In order to be eligible to enroll in the program you must:
· Be registered at a college or university.
· Have completed 2 years of college Spanish or its equivalent.
A number of extracurricular activities have been planned for during the term to help students get to know each other better and to help promote a collective Spanish social consciousness to the group as well as to each individual. Activities include trips to museums, monuments, historical sites and other places of interest.
Cultural Activities and Workshops
During the semester students can participate in weekly workshops, short seminars and contests:
· Producing and editing the Program magazine "A la Luna de Valencia"
· Theater performance-work with fellow students and our staff on a production for the entire group
· Dances from around the world
· Spanish Film Festival-held at our center weekly
· Spanish Fan seminar-paint your own fan and learn the fan language
· Spanish cooking seminar-learn how to make paella!
· Soccer games and clinics
· Photography seminar
· Poetry and prose writing contest
Service Learning Internships
We offer a wide variety of Service Learning Internships, giving our students the opportunity to have meaningful interaction with the people of Valencia in the areas of:
· Law-assistant in the office of a local lawyer
· Medicine-Hospital general (Cardiovascular), Hospital la Fe (Pediatrics)
· Education-Work as a teachers aid/tutor in one of several area elementary schools
· Occupational Therapy-Universidad Católica de Valencia
· Tourism-Hotel Ad Hoc and a local travel agency
· Language (editing and translating)
· Art (helping to make a falla monument)
There will be three day trips offered throughout the semester chosen among the following: Alcoi, Calp, Cullera, Gandía, Peñíscola, Sagunto, Xàtiva.